Going back to my roots

A new month, springtime, the world obsessed by a virus. While our home is in Tuscany, Italy we are starting our third month in a small cottage in Holland.
Our visit to my 84 year old mother early March turned into an extended stay in the country we originate from. By the time we had planned to return European borders were closing down and the Covid-19 virus seemed to be taking over.

While not being able to go back to our home in Marradi came as a bit of a shock, we decided to take it as it comes. Fortunate to be 'stuck' in a quiet rural region we have been able to go out for walks and enjoy the fresh air and more importantly sea air. My roots are in Zeeland, very near the coast and therefore I spent a lot of time on the beach at any time of my childhood and adolescent life. During my adult life I have always felt 'at home' wherever we lived spending time near the sea. The air, the smell of the salty water, the rushing waves. As soon as I enter a beach a smile appears on my face, no matter the season, no matter the weather (except for heavy rain) enjoying the sights that so fascinate me and are never the same at any given day. For the last 40+ days we get up in the morning, cross the dunes and greet the sea. Of course I carry my phone just in case I see something inspiring and on most days I take my camera just in case I want some more than just a quick pic or practice some photography skills.



Portraits have become part of my soul, so even though my studio is far away and portrait sessions are in the waiting room, every now and then my hubby is the guinea pig. He is a good sport and I am very grateful to have him on my side.








Some days it is just the two of us out on the beach and in the dunes, others a few more people enjoying some movement and fresh and relaxing breath of air.
Yesterday we ran into a couple on our walk. From a distance it looked like the man was falling down into the bushes and his partner trying to catch and hold him. My first thought was, I need to help, but how if I have to stay at 1,5m distance....until I realized they were joking with each other like a couple of teenagers and we all laughed once they saw our shocked faces. We ended up chatting for a while exchanging thoughts about dealing with the Covid situation and it turned out we were all in 'voluntary quarantine' in a holiday cottage. Before saying goodbye they gave me their phone number so I can send them some info on our home in Marradi. Who knows.......they may get just as excited as we are and come and see us when we can move around freely again. The thought made me really long for that day!




The sea was rough and rowdy, at the same time calming my mind. Just water, wind and some warming rays of sun on our faces, so I did what I am not really skilled at, just for the memory: take a selfie of me and my partner in crime.




At home away from home. 









Comments

  1. Alweer 40 dagen en geen andere optie dan te genieten van slow life. De zee leent zich daar goed voor. Geen driehoog achter gelukkig met drie kids. Hou vol (Rutte) maar blijf ook genieten!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Echt een waanzinnige zee en jou flair die erop te krijgen.
    Grappig als je besefd dat jou herinneringen hier liggen ( Zeeland) maar dat de zee en het strand extra betekenis hebben vooral nu.
    Wat een lange tijd is zal hopelijk later niet zo voelen dus de carantaine.
    Het brengt wel prachtig materiaal!
    Van Gogh met zijn aardappeleters Ellen met de zee.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts