Portrait Photography Passion and going with the flow.

Today, the 30th of April 2020. Who would have thought.......I have been thinking over the last several weeks I should be documenting this amazingly different time we are going through all over the world. And so I did, mostly with photos and no writing, because I have become a more visual person over the last several years. But often, lately, contemplating while on our daily morning walk, and not much distraction throughout the day, I thought about coming back to my blog.

My blogposts used to be about daily life in Italy, but since we are staying in the Netherlands for as long as the Covid-19 situation requires, I will be posting more about my Portrait Photography Passion. Today will be the first one. I hope you like it and I would love to hear your comments. So here it is.

This morning when I opened my Whatsapp messages on my phone I had a request from my friend and Makeup Artist https://www.facebook.com/ChiaraMakeup/ in Marradi if I could send her a copy of a portrait I took of her and her twin girls Giada and Celeste. When I was documenting the celebration of their cousin and nephew's baptism last year, I managed to make that gorgeous mother-and-daughters photo in that one decisive moment, both girls sitting for just two seconds in their mom's lap. Now, a year later she wants to use it for the celebrationg of the twins' birthday next week.

Since we became unexpectedly stuck in Holland after the lockdown in almost all European countries, I obviously don't have my whole archive with me. After all we had only planned for a visit of two weeks. Knowing how valuable photos are to all of us, I dove into my phone archive and the travelling drive I always carry with me when away from home, together with my laptop and of course my camera. And low and behold, I found it, did a little bit of retouching on it, just to make it 'perfectly' naturally beautiful. A lovely portrait, taken on the fly, while family and friends were celebrating little Raffaele's baptism in the family garden. My heart sings when I get the opportunity to create portraits full of love and emotion and I get to see a little sparkle of the soul. This photo to me is a celebration of motherhood, springtime, new life. Just in time for Mother's day when we honour all our mothers for being the carriers of life.



Unfortunately I have very few photos of that day on me, it would have been lovely to show you some more of that occasion. It was my first time being asked to photograph a baptism and sort of a last minute arrangement. Normally I get together with everyone involved, but there was none of that in this case, so I went to the church quite open to....the flow. Trusting my instincts and experience was enough to be aware of where the parents would be standing, where the priest and where I could find a niche and angle to create important memories for this family. The ambiance was relaxed, but I still remember the parents of Raffaele, Elisabetta and Nicola being quite nervous about it. Raffaele let it all happen quietly. I found them all back in the garden of Chiara and Elisabetta's parents in Biforco, one of the neighbourhoods in Marradi. On another occasion I hope to show some more, today you will have to bear with me until I can travel home to Italy again where my archive sits safely waiting for me to play with it. 

Raffaele's baptism


Happy Birthday Giada and Celeste! May your light shine bright and long. 

Comments

Popular Posts