Whimsical Weather and other September Surprises 2

In the middle of the month we are finally given some good rain. Whimsical continues while the pastures dried out by scorching sunshine and maybe two drops of rain in 6 months are suddenly turning into.........lush green. Flowers are sprouting as if it were spring. Again I am amazed how nature has its way exactly as it should be. Extreme drought will put plants into 'hibernation', no waste of energy, until circumstances change, thirst will be quenched and the moment seems just to come into bloom and secure procreation.






One of those whimsical days, when the skies are pouring out what they hold on to for so long, causes me to 'kiss' my neighbours' car on the way to the village. Shocked by the impact and myself because I have been fortunate to drive safely and without trouble forever, I get out of my car, being thankful to see my neighbour and I are both unhurt. Material damage can be repaired, our cars are transported off to the repair shop. The beauty of a small village is you don't have to tell anybody. By the time I arrived in town everybody had heard somehow what had happened. The good news is, everybody cares and tries to help wherever needed.




Before we know this capricious show of September turns again in some beautiful warm days, so the grass is springing up and turning greener and greener as we are well exposed to the sun. When I open my curtains I have noticed my dogs are a bit restless, and this is why......... Our next-door neighbours live stock have decided that sometimes the grass is really greener on the other side of the fence ;-).



My day is thus starting with another display of my sheep herding skills. 

Foto Lex van Wijhe

A few days later Lex leaves with middle son Jelle for a trip to Sardegna. Two years ago when our oldest son Mike turned 30 (and dad had turned 60), he considered that an excellent reason for a father-son trip and thus the tradition was born. This year was Jelle's turn. I will have to borrow some photos from them off course. What a gem that island is. I cannot wait to go and look for myself.

In the mean time it is my turn to take entertain and educate our two 6 month old puppies, so for a week every minute was dedicated to them. Please meet Boris and Lola, brother and sister,  the surprise children of one neighbours' border collie female and another a mix of one's australian shepherd male.




A whole week just the three of us, taking long walks around the woods and mountains, observing the changes that announce autumn, watching the first 'ricci', the mature chestnuts, fall in their broken shell, admiring the beautiful mushrooms jumping out of the moist soil and the first dew drops appearing in the morning.










The last week of September Jelle and Lex return from their trip just before I am celebrating the start of a new year in my life. I treated myself to a nice hairdo, Jelle is my website designer of whom I am very proud, and we 'partied' intimately with a delicious cake made by our American friend Susie, who is a woman of many trades and talents, which she exploits all while running her tourist consultant business from Marradi. You can check out her site, don't forget to read the 'Meet Marradi' part on her blog. Joint little project of her and me to honour the wonderful people in our village: http://tuscanyeasytravel.com/about-us/ .
Biggest birthday surprise: one of my best friends from my university years in Holland happened to be on holiday in Italy and showed up on my birthday! We had a wonderful night and caught up on some dear lost time. She and her husband gifted me some real Dutch treats and one of the newest books on the Dutch literature list, which I love as I am a bit out of touch with Dutch authors nowadays. Nevertheless these gifts remind me of my roots. Thank you Marjan and René, it was really nice to have you hear and enjoy our new home.



Smile!!!!


Ready for a new year with inspiration and creativity. I am working on opening my portrait studio early next year......almost ready to start decorating.


Photo Susie Macklem



 On to October. Wishing love and light to everyone.

Comments

  1. Wat een gezellige update Ellen. Prachtig gebied daar rond Marradi. Leuk dat je studio zo goed vordert :). Wordt vast heel erg mooi!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts